Originally Posted By: kevs
How do you not have a bootable system? I don't think that has happened to me... maybe years ago.not even sure.

The regular boot drive on the system had become corrupted during installation of a beta software release which among other things included converting the boot drive from HFS+ to APFS (encrypted} so my clone could neither access the drive or repair it.

And you use the edrive? — I've hardly used that so rusty- should practice it.

Actually I don't use an E-Drive per. se. for many reasons. Instead I have a "ProToGo" USB SSD with two bootable images on it.
  1. an image of the Recovery Drive plus TechTool Pro which will boot any recent Mac; run TTP or Disk Utilility. Restore the entire system or just the data and/or apps from another drive or Time Machine Backup.
  2. a Basic image that will only boot the system it was created on or an identical configuration and includes several repair and maintenance utilities including TTP.

And booting from TM? Can't get my head around that either. seems very complicated. I don't even think I have system on TM not sure.

You cannot boot from Time Machine, but you can boot from the Recovery Drive (or a ProToGo image of the Recovery Drive) and reinstall from a Time Machine backup.

Booting from the Recovery Drive is accomplished by
  • Holding ⌘R during a cold boot (reinstall the MacOS version that was on your computer
  • Holding ⌥⌘R during a cold boot (install the latest version of MacOS that is compatible with your computer
  • Holding ⇧⌥⌘R during a cold boot (installs the version of MacOS that shipped with your computer or the closest available version.

Last edited by joemikeb; 03/03/19 07:55 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein