Joe, fascinating story!

Defintely makes me now think more about getting that new 8 TB hardrive, but again, you would just erase the current one (even though I saying I'm able to exactrat via finder everything on it from last 2 years?) Instead of putting it in closet?

And you don't think is a good chance I can just keep using it, and it would be fine for years to come, me user finder method?

TAXES good story: last week: the icloud drive debacle, the senior Apple rep, told me, lamely, to archive my icloud drive folder, which forced an erase from the imac. (part of the trouble shooting to show engineers) It seemed to populate back that night no problem. Next morning I also had to do one final report for taxes (it's March), and my quicken app, for first time ever did not work. The data file was housed in the icloud drive, documents! Something, for first time ever, went wacky with it. Someone after similar panic I got it back ok... not sure how... to be honest.

Would not shared that story, as just a tiny part of that whole icloud drive issue, and not related to this even, but how interesting, we both has close calls with Tax info.