Originally Posted By: kevs
But Joe, Microsoft has full word/ excel editing capability now too and also one drive.... it's probably more glitchy though than numbers..

Yes but I don't have Word or Excel on any of my devices and Pages et. al. although not nearly as powerful are FREE.

Raid, been reading about forever, (never done it), but isn't Raid now passe with price of hard rives falling over years? OH.. but Raid is a clone...so you don't have to back up your TM

You need to read a bit more about RAID, It is not passé. I am not using RAID level 5 for speed rather for its greatly increased reliability. Any one of the four drives in the RAID 5 array can fail, but that does not mean the entire data set has failed. I can "hot swap" a new drive in the array and RAID 5 will restore its contents as if there had been no failure. Yes using RAID level 5 does provide a notable increase in I/O speed but to me that is a secondary consideration to reliability. The falling price of drives does not make RAID passé either but it does make RAID far more affordable. I suggest you read this Wikipedia article on RAID and pay particular attention to the different RAID levels and the advantages and disadvantages each. Some are for speed others for reliability I chose RAID level 5 as it offers improved Read/Write speeds along with very high data reliability.

In my configuration the name I assigned to my level 5 RAID array is "RAID". It is NOT a clone in any sense of the word "clone". It is a stand-alone Time Machine backup data set that is one hour out of synch with the data set stored on "Local TM". Much, in fact most, of the data is duplicated in both data sets but they are NOT and never should be identical.

My TM is screwed up, the repair drive did not help. However TM still finds and works ok up until the restore. So I was able to go into TM, look at all past dates (seems up to 2 years ago on this file), and then surgically go into the finder and copy it to the desktop. I may just continue until it's toast. Ok for now that crazy method. For some reason when I cick restore in TM, just wont work that way..

Your choice. There are files that will show up on a given date but were created long before the error was created. If the file has not been updated since the date of the error all that appears since that date is a hard link to the original file. While this might not be a problem with many individual files, if you ever have to restore your files from that Time Machine data set it is likely you will end up with a lot of garbage on your restored system.

Personally I would find any system recovered from that data set highly suspect and therefore I would do an erase and start over from the current date.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein