Originally Posted By: kevs
That reminds me Joe: this forum was founded by a guy, can't remember name who wrote a book years ago I bought, where he outlined all the kernal panics and meltdowns with Apple and how to deal with them (15 years ago)? Amazing right? You would say 90% of that stuff he wrote about is gone now?

I don't know about the 90% but certainly enough has changed since OS X 10.3 Panther (which was the current version 15 years ago) that I question if much of that code still remains untouched in Mojave.

Reading your points, this new robustness is mostly from last 5 years?

Looking back at the amount of forum traffic that accompanied the release of a MacOS version I would say the number of issues encountered have fallen off significantly in the last three years. To the point Mojave was almost a non-event. Where a new release used to be highlighted with a variety of problem reports and formal lists of broken applications the various Mojave releases have mostly been characterized by reports of "no problems" followed by a string of "I didn't have any problems either."

Still, on your final point, it still sounds like a good strategy to wait 8 months, no? An reason for me not too?

Eight months means you are waiting until most, if not all, development has ceased for the current MacOS version and the entire development effort has shifted to the next MacOS upgrade. Certainly that should be a stable version and unlikely to ever be updated unless a security vulnerability is discovered. At that point you might decide to wait another year and just skip a release altogether but then you risk a steeper learning curve to get up to speed after the upgrade, a significant increase in security vulnerability due to the out of date OS version, and apps or new app features that won't run until you upgrade.

Personally I feel the increased security inherent in each new OS version is more than enough incentive to upgrade at the first opportunity. But then I am becoming a bit paranoid about computer and online security.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein