Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks Joe, what does this mean, "I find myself using Pages and Numbers more than NeoOffice (which is far more powerful) because with the cloud based versions of those apps I don't even need an Apple device to access my files."

There are full featured on-line versions of Pages, Numbers, Mail, & Keynote on the iCloud web page that can be used through any browser on any computer, anywhere you have access to the internet. So if I start a document using Pages on my computer and save the file on my iCloud Drive I can log on from just about anywhere to continue working on the file.

Originally Posted By: kevs
So you recommend TM back up. so you clone one each day?

No I do not clone every day. I only clone before installing an OS update or upgrade, just in case something fails in the process. I have two Time Machine drives one named Local TM and the other named RAID and both are designated in System Preferences > Time Machine as Time Machine drives (see this screenshot). As you can see in the screenshot at 15:23 today Time Machine used the Local TM drive and an hour later, at 16:22, the backup went to RAID. Each of those is an independent backup data set of the boot drive on my MacBook Pro. If I wish to recover a file I enter Time Machine in the normal way and the backup time line that appears is a composite of both Time Machine data sets. There is no no way of distinguishing between the two data sets. If I disconnect either and then enter Time Machine, instead of seeing hourly time intervals the time intervals will be every two hours. If I restore a file it will be restored from the data set associated with that unique time interval. Local TM does not back up RAID and vice-versa as each is a self-contained backup data set.

Originally Posted By: keys
Never thought of that, but logic being that the stuff on TM cannot be refound or redone?

The danger in using Finder to recover files in a Time Machine backup is multi-fold
  1. Time Machine backups are intricately interconnected by Unix hard-links and unlike aliases when a file is moved the link does NOT follow the file, but is in fact broken and since Finder can move files easily it presents a strong element of risk. Given the complex web of hard-links in a Time Machine backup you risk damaging the entire network of links therefore rendering the reliability of the entire backup data set questionable.
  2. If you use Finder to go into a Time Machine backup set to find a file there is no TIME reference. So you might extract a version of the file from an hour ago or an entirely different version from two hours ago or a year or more back in time and there is nothing to tell you which version it is. Which makes the whole point of Time Machine completely irrelevant.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein