Other than I don't need to pay for another on-line service, I have no opinion on Crashplan etc. as I have never tried any of them. As far as backups go, I am comfortable with my dual Time Machine backup sets. One of those is on a standard rotating rust drive and as an additional reliability fact the other is on a RAID 5 array and even if one of the four drives in the array fails, I can hot swap another drive into the array and the contents of that drive will automatically be recreated from data on the other three.

My third line of defense is the iCloud Drive, but I have never had the issues with it that you have encountered. I am inclined to look at my Time Machine backups as a backup to the critical data on the iCloud Drive because I access and modify that data not only from my Mac but also my iPhone and iPad. Which is why I find myself using Pages and Numbers more than NeoOffice (which is far more powerful) because with the cloud based versions of those apps I don't even need an Apple device to access my files.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein