Joe, " recovery would be a crap shoot at best."

All the times I have dug into the TM finder (and I never knew this was a bad thing to do until today), I have dragged out folders and files easily. I have never not been able to use what I found in there. I actually thought this was a proper 2nd (and to me faster easier way to dig out the files)

So why not just keep it the hard drive in closet? If an important file is missing after this icloud drive debacle, wont there probably be another one missing discovered in a 6 months?

But I'm open to your suggestion.

Joe, you actually have a full TM backup in your TM drive konks out? Wow, never thought of that... I guess it makes sense since TM is very important and non replacable. There is no where else that exist.

Which brings me to one last question on tangent of backups:

Do you use Crashplan or Backblaze or another icloud service? Crashplan being so cheap, I signed up a couple of years ago, on advice of the Mac writer Joe Kissle. Now I'm moving to Backblaze per his advice too. This move actually was the culprit of the icloud mess as I throttled high on backblaze and then icloud went nuts.

Final result: I put all imporant docs off Apple icloud, can't trust it ever again.

But today another weird thing: Crash plan which has been stable for ages, was taking 90% of CUP in activity montor? Why? Does not make sense, but could be a downside of using these services. Still so cheap and great extra layer. So I may do new post on that.

Funny, I never even considered adding TM to Crashplan, but now I will....seeing more of the benefit of TM as years go by. I never even used TM in it's first few years of existence! Your opinion on crashplan/ backblaze etc?