Originally Posted By: kevs
You think rebuilding launch services could make the black icon exe files revert to the Word .doc they once were?

The Launch Services database is a self-learning store which holds information about the available applications and their associations with documents. In earlier versions of OS X rebuilding the Launch Services database used to be fairly routine any time something got wonky with file associations. As OS X/MacOS has matured it is seldom necessary. Rebuilding the database is not harmful, but if you have changed any associations to match your personal preferences those will be set to the normal default. In other words, it may or may not fix the problem, but it can't hurt.

Originally Posted By: kevs
BTW, you use recommend Onyx? I was on it years ago for maintenance things that many have deemed unnecessary now, so I bailed a few years ago..

Like a variety of other utilities such as Tinkertool System, Cocktail, and MacPilot, OnyX is a GUI front end for Unix command line utilities that are built into MacOS and performs no actual processing other than some minor formatting of the output of the Unix commands. I suggested OnyX simply because it is FREE. Personally I no longer use any of the aforementioned utilities routinely, but I do keep some of them around just in case something get wonky. WARNING: because the underlying Unix commands continue to evolve it is critical the version of any of these utilities you use is compatible with the MacOS version you are running. Otherwise these utilities could produce unintentional harm in spite of the best efforts of the developers to detect and prevent their use with the wrong MacOS version.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein