I go beyond ryck, and don't own a cell phone (other than an unconnected one that I use as a camera).

I pay $40/month for my Fios land line, and although my phone virtually never rings, I wouldn't be without it

I send and receive texts via email (My experience is that texting is what people mostly do these days.), which can be cumbersome, but not nearly as cumbersome as carrying even the smallest cell phone.

Beyond their having completely invaded and destroyed the sanctity of the workplace, I think my biggest peeve with cell phones is that you no longer get to talk to anyone in a household other than the specific person whose number you dialed, so partners, kids, etc. have become something of non-entities.

I concede that there certainly is some need for cell phone immediacy, but I think the immediacy has faaar overtaken the need, and I'll happily risk missing out on the need to avoid the immediacy.

(Verizon has discontinued copper wire service to parts of Brooklyn, but if there's a target "No Mas!" date, I haven't heard of it.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire