Originally Posted By: ryck
FYI, I don't carry any kind of iPhone. I have a Motorola Razr which is only turned on when I need to make a call or am expecting one. I don't need a phone that does all those other things like making pizzas or doing the laundry.

Your pattern is more and more the exception and not the rule. Neither of our "kids" (they are in their fifty's) as well as a rapidly growing number of friends our age only have cell phones.

We still have a land line is because we still have accounts linked to that number, but we are in the process of transferring all of our contacts to our cell phone numbers so we too can dump the landline. Of the 70 to 100+ landline calls we gt in an average week, well over 99% are robo-calls. It is our landline phone that is kept turned off and will likely remain so until, like our children and friends, we cut the cord altogether.

Many new developments in the area are pre-wiring the homes and apartments for internet (or providing area WiFi), but they are not wiring for land line phone service and the telco has no plans to provide landline phone service to the developments. There are rumors the telco has approached the city to abandon landline service in older areas where the cable plant needs to be replaced.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein