Another year of trying to find a pair of gloves that will keep my hands warm.

Tonight's low predicted to be 18 below (F), which is as cold as I can recall it getting around here. We usually sink below zero a few days every winter, though not to this extreme. I remember one rare day in the 1990s when the wind chill was 40 degrees below. That was the only time my Toyota wouldn't start. I didn't have a garage, and my car always sat out.

Remarkable thing is, we had a green Christmas. Yesterday was the first time all winter that I had to use the snowblower.

So if anyone has found a pair they like, fire away. I looked last year and came up with nothing. I need something waterproof and windproof. Last year I grudgingly concluded that I probably can't stay under $100, but I'm not going over $200 unless I have to. As usual, I have done a ton of research on the internet. I've always had trouble with cold hands. Someone suggested I might have Raynaud's syndrome, but I don't think so. Your hands noticeably change color with that (yellow, for example) and mine don't.

I have a $70 pair of Manzella's that are still wet from yesterday. I hope to take them back to the local ski shop where I bought them because they are supposed to be waterproof. They're not bad gloves—if you live in San Francisco.

I know mittens will keep my hands warmer than gloves, but I dislike the lack of dexterity. I haven't worn mittens since I was a kid.