The fallout from macOS having become so trouble free is my having forgotten what I learned in "Troubleshooting 101". frown

Originally Posted By: andycap
I upgraded to Mojave (10.14.2) the other day....

The first thing I should have suggested when I read that was that you run, or, as the case may be, rerun the macOS Mojave 10.14.2 Combo Update, so I'll do it now since you're still having an issue with 1Password.

As for your recalcitrant file, which "rm" (Did you try "sudo rm"?) couldn't get rid of, some suggestions:
  1. After moving it back to the trash, try running Disk Utility > First Aid (You can do it from your boot volume.), and follow that by shutting down/starting up and crossing your fingers. (I've got a vague recollection of that having worked in a similar situation a bunch of years ago.)
  2. Try trashing it while booted into a different volume.
And as for Office 2016, it seems a shame that after having paid for it you've wound up trashing it.

I've seen a bunch of developers take the money and run lately rather than update their apps, but that's not Microsoft's style, and I know for a fact that Excel 2016 can run issue-free in Mojave 10.14.2, so if you're interested in one more experiment...

The one thing I'd have done differently than you did is I"d have completely trashed Office 2016 before attempting to reinstall it, so since you've now done that, you might try reinstalling again after running the Combo and hopefully getting rid of that recalcitrant file.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire