This saga has become an epic slough of despond and I have whiled away a good 5 hours today on it. I can’t sensibly spend any more time trying to make Office 2016 work on my Mojave machine and I’m now officially moving to Numbers and Pages. Microsoft licensing and support, at least for MacOS, is an absolute mess. And to think I was contemplating an upgrade to Office 2019. Forget it!

In summary:
Product key recovered after resetting MS account password. Easy. Downloaded the reinstall pkg from the same MS key recover page, ran it, and it failed twice. Not easy. Initiated a three hour marathon chat and remote login session with MS techos (2 of them). They chucked some Containers, deleted the Office suite apps and downloaded their own install pkg. This failed. After creating a test account, a few restarts and kernel panics, another install download and relogging into my normal account, Office appeared to work. But after deleting all the Logmein detritus, downloaded installation packages and the test account, it has now inexplicably become inoperative again (unless I boot from the High Sierra clone and that’s ridiculous). And now 1Password has #$!& itself again.

Why oh why did I do Mojave. It’s when all the trouble started! Good luck ryck!

Reverting to High Sierra from the clone is looking like a pretty good option right now.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions.