Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: artie505
(Three were installed after the fact and may be kosher, and I've never even bothered to count the wires in the one of my original eight. In fact, the super doesn't even bother with an adaptor when he installs a new refrigerator...merely clips the grounding prong.)

Okay your stereo probably isn't properly grounded to a "metal stake driven into moist earth". 😖

To give you an idea of how scarce outlet space is around here, to get my stereo (which is turned on 24/7/365) on to a (presumably) grounded line I'd have to move it to one that's already got my air conditioner, space heater, and dehumidifier, 2 of which are frequently running at the same time, on it.

The definitely ungrounded line it's on at the moment has also got my refrigerator and a few 100 watt bulbs (which are on only intermittently).

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: artie505
People in my neighborhood seem to have abandoned tap water in favor of Poland Spring, but that deprives their kids of the fluorine.

Personally, I'd risk the contaminants, which don't appear to be anywhere near critical, rather than confer lifelong dental problems on my kids.

I remember several years ago Consumer Reports ran a series if articles on water. They used New York City tap water as the gold standard for taste, odor, and purity against which they compared water from cities all over the continent and major brands of bottled "spring" water, filtered water, and distilled water. Their conclusion was everyone should drive New Your City water. What has happened in the interim?

The only thing of which I"m aware is Is NYC Tap Water Safe? 6 Cancer-Causing Chemicals Found At 'Unsafe' Levels, which doesn't affect taste in the least, but which has apparently spooked people.

It reminds me of the Red #2 hysteria of 1976 which actually induced Mars to stop making red M&Ms even though they didn't contain the dye in question.

My point being: how many pounds of a substance that humans consume in minuscule quantities must a rat eat in a day before it contracts cancer?

Yup... Figures lie, and liars figure!

I stopped drinking tap water in favor of Poland Spring - the stuff in the expensive clear plastic bottles - a few years ago because of the residue I've already mentioned in combination with distinctly unpleasant odors I encountered: sometimes it smelled heavily chlorinated like an indoor swimming pool...sometimes like I'd just opened a bottle of plain old bleach.

This is a recent analysis of Poland Spring water.

(I just ran across Bottled Water Exposed (Not Good) which states that fluorine "can actually do more harm than good, like causing fluorosis — permanent deformation of the teeth", and that many bottled waters contain at least some.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire