Originally Posted By: Hal Itosis
Originally Posted By: sandbox
Science as a working body would be more likely to have assurance than faith in Newton's work.

Aha... more likely. So, some may have had faith in Newton's work. Interesting.
But if 'assurance' works better for you, great. It is a good word too, i must say.

So -- when errors started cropping up -- they didn't experience "doubt" but... . . . what?
What's the right word for their feelings then?

Thanks.

It is more than likely that there were some with faith, but if asked about their faith, in Newton's work, they would probably explain their uncertainties grounded in logic and not in faith. The problem with the use of the word in a discussion about science is that it confuses the issues and does not accurately describe the scientist's position.

If the word does not have religious overtones, explain what Faith Based programs are? Explain what it is that a person needs to have when they are told that faith is needed to believe this or that, semantically speaking.

In our culture the word has been captured by a segment of the population to define them, forfeiting the broader connotation.
Notice that I didn't write sacrificing the broader connotation.
Sacrifice has been long used as a faith based word, so it would not be accurate in a scientific discussion if my intentions were to not distract the reader...leading them into subtopics.