Originally Posted By: artie505
Thanks for the tip; I wasn't aware that I could send mail through iCloud without benefit of my ISP. For the moment, though, I'll stick with my policy of avoiding iCloud.

I have multiple active email accounts and only one of them is with my ISP (Charter/Spectrum) but of course all communication with all of the other accounts travels through the Charter/Spectrum network but not the Charter/Spectrum SMTP or POP/IMAP servers. However at one time, in response to heavy pressure from the United States congress and several state legislatures to stem the flood of SPAM coming from their network, AOL established a policy that all outgoing email communications had to go through their servers and come from a duly registered AOL account. All direct communications with other provider's SMTP servers was blocked. I have no recent experience with AOL (say the last 30 years or more) but that may still be the case. In my experience AOL's policy was unique, but there may be others.

As to your avoidance of iCloud, that is of course your choice.

Originally Posted By: artie505
In addition, I've emailed AOL about the problem, which seems to arise on their end, and which, hopefully, they will fix.

Good luck with that, but I hope you are not holding your breath waiting for it to happen. tongue

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein