Originally Posted By: artie505
Those cookies from sites to which you've never been are probably tracking cookies, and many different sites place the same ones, so even if you close one window that utilizes them they may respawn because they're still being used by a window that's still open. (What are your cookie settings in Safari > Prefs > Privacy?)

I keep changing my cookie prefs but Safari seems to work best if I accept all cookies from sites I visit.

You're gonna hate this, Rita, but I think it's time for you to upgrade to Safari 12, because it's got new security/privacy features that l suspect address your issue...at least in part (because you may, in fact, have some evercookies). If you're wary of it, experiment on your old MBP or on a clone, and see what happens.

That's a good idea about my old MBP. It's still buggy and lots of beachballs but it probably can't hurt. It says I'm using nearly all my RAM but I don't know how to remedy that. I did take down lots of log in items but it still says I'm using almost all my RAM. I have 4 gigs in the old MBP and 8 gigs in the new one of which I am using over 6 gigs of ram at the moment!

As for CleanMyMac X, you got sucked in; there is no free version, only a free d/l, which is a sneaky way of getting you to try it and see "how many times over it's worth the $40/year or $90/one time buy price", so when the "buy it or lose it" screen pops up you'll bite. (Check out MacPaw's website, and see if you see so much as a hint of a free VERSION.)

Yeah, I did get a free d/l and it supposedly cleaned up some stuff, but in order to get rid of all of it I have to buy it, and you're right, it's very pricey. Is there another cleanup app that is free that does a good job? I use OnyX but it never really helped my old MBP. I want to be able to clean out all the trash that I can't tell is trash so that it will run smoothly and not use so much RAM.

Do you like 12?
What will I lose from 11 that might tick me off?

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8