Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: plantsower
Would you explain what you mean by additional security allowances? I like the fact that I don't have to remember my passwords now. Would that still be the case?

Also, I just noticed that when I disable JavaScript, I cannot get into YouTube which I use a lot.

That question covers a lot of different areas and I don't remember them all but among the security changes are...
  • Requiring a user with admin privileges to go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy and specifically grant an app access to specific parts of the system. This is a one time step every time you install an app that requires access to parts of the system outside of the app's "sandbox".
  • with auto filed fields in Safari the user is required to enter their login password or fingerprint before allowing auto filling a field. That will happen every time that field is auto filled. (My wife just got a long email about that from our password manager 1Password justifying Apple's decision to do this.
  • This is independent of Apple but more and more critical sites are requiring "two-factor authentication."
As congress, and the administration are just now recognizing, the internet is a dangerous environment. Software companies are struggling not to keep up rather to not get any further behind. The same can be said of users and increased security will inevitably mean inconvenience. I have a couple of hundred passwords and far too many are either duplicated, way too old, or grossly out of date. So with the help of the aforementioned 1Password I am in the process of updating all my passwords to unique, current, and secure. I figure I will finish just in time to start the cycle all over again. 🤬

My suggestion is get a good password management system, there are several on the App Store, and use it diligently. Keychain is secure, bit it does not have the management features of 1Password and its kin,

What he said. wink

So far the extra security requirements under Mojave have not required me to use passwords, only to add applications to "Full Disk Access" or "Accessibility" under the Security and Privacy Preference pane.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.