Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I have a couple of hundred passwords and far too many are either duplicated, way too old, or grossly out of date. So with the help of the aforementioned 1Password I am in the process of updating all my passwords to unique, current, and secure.

I've posted this more than once before but never heard either an "Aye" or a "Nay", so I"m now soliciting opinions.

My feeling about passwords is that pretty darn near all of mine are innocuous in the sense that even if I were to give you my password and logon identity for most sites I visit you couldn't do me any worse damage than perhaps embarrass me by, for instance, filling up an eBay shopping cart for which you wouldn't be able to pay. At FTM, for instance, you couldn't begin to write a post that would sound like I'd written it, and, similarly, I'd not be at risk at most other sites I visit were my credentials to be compromised.

Where I'm of course going, is I use the same password at all those sites, although that's mitigated by the fact that my logon identities are an assortment of email addresses and screen names, and all that info is stored in my keychain for easy entry.

Any site at which money or important data is at risk is protected by a unique, extremely strong password which I change periodically and which is stored between my ears, not in my keychain.

What say the assembled masses? Is my logic fallacious, am I being naive and exposing myself, or does my approach make sense as I obviously think it does?

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire