I'm not going to shed any tears for anyone in Silicon Valley, least of all Tim Cook, who has given me many reasons to punch him in the stomach.

I have some sympathy for Mac developers. These are the unsung heroes of the Mac world who have always been treated badly by Apple, writing software for a niche market. Truly these people deserve a weepy Ken Burns documentary.

Slowing zooming in...slowing zooming out...

Where would I be without them? In Windows. Or Mint. Or Zorin. But the subscription model isn't going to work for a lot of people. Me for one. I'm not going to subscribe to software. I already subscribe to a couple web sites and Patreon. I subscribe to one magazine, the first one in many years.

It's possible that as another generation passes and a new norm gets established, people won't know any better and will adapt to what is. I'm not at all happy about how Silicon Valley has been softwarizing the world. Now they are trying to eliminate private property.

I've never been a fan of the word "inevitable" because it suggests that events occur not as the result of choice but arbitrarily and helplessly like the weather.