Originally Posted By: Gregg
Back to the time limit... The reason I think 24 hours is not long enough: I visit the site at the same time on weekdays. It's possible I could see a typo in a post of mine at 24hours and 1minute, and I would not be able to fix it myself. And 1 hour for deleting a post? That's too short! Sorry, but I have other things to attend to...

I definitely get what you're saying (and I also usually look at the forum once per day or sometimes once every other day, depending on how heavy my workload is).

I'm of two minds on post editing. On the one hand, I've noticed typos or problems in things I've posted a day or two after I've made the post, and ended up frustrated that the editing window has expired.

On the other hand, I've also been on forums that allow unlimited editing with no time window, and I've seen how it can be abused, either non-maliciously (when someone whose question has been answered, or who didn't get any answers that worked, removed or deleted the question) or maliciously (when someone who is angry or upset changed a post for the purpose of making other posters in the thread look bad).

I do think that forums, especially technical forums, have value that goes way beyond just answering a single question for a single user; they serve as archives of problems and solutions--and sometimes solutions that don't work are as valuable as solutions that do. I've solved many problems (usually Windows rather than Mac) by doing Google searches and stumbling across some post in some forum I'd never even heard of that outlines the same problem and a solution, and I can see why there's value in not letting people remove a post or alter it just because they have (or even just because they haven't!) received a solution.

I've gone back and forth on how I feel about post editing windows several times; right now, the place I'm at is "they're sometimes frustrating but the value outweighs the frustration."

As far as FTM goes, I've adopted a kind of hands-off approach to moderation, though; I'm the hosting/technical/engineering guy, so on things like this I let the moderators make the call. smile

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html