HOMEKIT:

Over the past two or three years I have accumulated several Homekit devices that are managed and controlled via Apple's Home app on iOS devices. They have generally worked reasonably well, but not as reliably as I might like. So when I was unable to update the firmware on some of my devices I decided the solution might be resetting the devices. That ended up requiring
  • deleting the devices in Homekit
  • erasing the data in the Manufacturer's apps (deleting the apps entirely and then reinstalling them from the App store)
  • Resetting some devices back to factory settings. (In the case of an August lock that required a phone call to August and they reset the lock remotely. Believe me the process is VERY secure.)
  • Reinstalling the device through the Homekit app — which in turn launched the manufacturer's app to effect some f the setup.
  • adding the various devices to Homekit and then adding them to specific automations
All of this was accomplished without reference to a manual or even a help screen, so it was all reasonably self explanatory.

Now that the firmware updates/upgrades have been installed I have some observations about Homekit in iOS 12...
  • installing new devices works much better and faster. Automatic camera recognition of the device code was so fast I often did not realize the installation had already been accomplished
  • interaction with devices via Apple TV is greatly improved (Apple TV relays Homekit signals received via Apple ID and the Internet.)
  • the number of "Failed" and "Device not responding" messages has dropped to near zero even for devices that are at or near range extremes.
  • IMO
    • Homekit has improved from an interesting toy/gimmick to a desirable tool.
    • Homekit's designed in security gives it an edge over most of the competition.

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney