Yes, in fact. I did wonder whether I might have brought some kind of bad file from the old computer until I saw so many other people on the internet complain about the same problem. At this point it's more of a norm than a problem.

I read many complaints over the weekend about all kinds of models running the OS with jagged and blurry text. The conclusion many people draw is that Apple has been tailoring its OS for their retina monitor and newer more expensive models. Many unhappy people resent being pushed to buy the most expensive computer after they have dumped thousands of dollars on a computer that essentially doesn't work. The complaints go back many years. Some people saw it in Lion.

As far as I know Apple has never addressed the problem, though there are helpful options in the OS to make changes. I have also found that Helvetica Neue works better as a default system font. Readers with jaggy text might want to play around with their font panel and look at different weights, too.

Although Apple hasn't said anything, I'm willing to grant that some head scratching and innovation are required of brainiacs to adapt an OS to increasingly large (tall and wide) monitors. Windows has the same problem but has done a better job of font handling, something that used to be Apple's specialty. I've done a lot of fiddling with resolutions and font sizes on a 10 year old Dell laptop running Windows 7 and a three year old Dell desktop running Windows 8.1 I would call my results satisfactory given the limitations but not all that acceptable. Isn't there some kind of software that can address this? I saw only one company listed that sells a screen magnifier, but I don't know anything about it.

I figure with a laptop you're screwed because most laptops are small and the text has always been small. But desktops ought to be a different story. That's why I have preferred desktops.

I don't know why this topic is discussed so often in forums and comments sections but so rarely in the tech press. Obviously it's important. Customers ought to be able to read computer text out of the box. They ought to be able to change resolutions and expect the text to be readable, otherwise why include the ability to change resolutions?

A couple times I posted a link to an article in a British computer magazine about how monitors went from being sold in a 12:9 ratio to being sold in a 12:10 ratio to accommodate wide screen video for movies and games (or di I have that backwards?). He's the only person I've read who has talked about that subject. I've more of a text guy. I don't need wide. The internet scrolls vertically.

Many customers blame themselves, their age, their poor eyesight for the ability to read computer text. That's wrong. Text should be easy to read and easy to change. This is a clever trick by the industry, blaming the victim. I've instructed my parents not to fall for it. Computers should make you feel smarter, not dumber. Home computers, personal computers, should be easy to use and they should work. There shouldn't be any learning curve. There are many problems which exist today in computers which didn't in the past. The situation is absurd. I wonder what it's building up to.

You can see why I want to build my own computer.

Last edited by deniro; 08/06/18 01:59 AM.