The dilemma has been around for some time, but now it's come to a head. My version of Firefox (39) has been crashing daily now on some web sites. I don't know if it's because of javascript or video trying to load, but more and more sites are taking down Firefox and my work with it.

I use 39 because it's the last version to work with 10.6.7, which I use because I could never get 10.6.8. to work with my Mac. In order to use a newer version of Firefox I need a newer OS. In order to use a newer OS, I need a newer computer, newer than the one I've got. I've considered getting a 2011 iMac refurbished or something from that time. I've seen some Macs below $500 that come with 10.6.8 installed although most refurbs come with 10.9 or above. I think all of OWC's come with Sierra or High Sierra. I would like to avoid ebay and Amazon. For me buying a cheap refurb is a short term solution.

The long term solution is more expensive and more challenging: by building my own PC, giving greatest amount of attention to speed. I've already put some puts together on a couple web sites. Ideally I could build one that would boot both Windows and Mac. I'm not ready to give up my tools and workflow yet, esp. Tex-Edit Plus and Pages, which are my main writing tools. I don't even know how many years I've been using Tex-Edit Plus. PC hardware gives me lots of options, but the same cannot be said for software. So much of Windows software really sucks.

Opinions are welcome, particularly about buying a 2011 imac refurb from Tech Headquarters or Mac of All Trades or some such place, about Mac OS versions after Snow Leopard, which are the lousy, and about building my own PC, one that will or won't dual boot Mac OS. It's obvious that I dislike the current versions of both operating systems. The internet appears to be forcing me into a decision.