FINDER ADDITIONS

Changes to Finder were talked about at the WWDC, but for me at least they have been easy to overlook. You can see the additions here.

Adding the ability to select 3rd party Action menu items, Finder Extensions, Photos editing, Share options, Today list, and FInder Quick items and Preview pane to the quick view panel seems a curious choice. Obviously those various menus are all subsidiary functions of Finder but I would have expected the options to appear on the Finder Menu or even in System Preferences not as an icon in the quick view panel.

I had forgotten the Markup feature until I was preparing this post and realized how easy and convenient it is to access and use. It is easy enough that there is almost zero learning curve for someone with only a modicum of experience with graphics editing. There is nothing here that threatens Graphic Converter or Affinity Designer, but it could potentially replace Evernote's Skitch (which I use a lot) and several document signing apps that simply add an image of your signature to a document. All in all I think it will be very useful in the future. I did encounter a couple of minor glitches, but this is still a relatively early beta.

DARK MODE

I just noticed that each beta update it seems there are additional Apple apps that support Dark Mode. Finder and Safari are the most noticeable in beta 4.

DYNAMIC DESKTOPS

By now, everyone has probably seen the Mojave desert dune dynamic desktop that slowly changes during the day. There is also a new dynamic desktop in beta 4 called Solar Gradients. No picture just a color gradient with sky blue at the top shading to what I would describe as sunrise yellow/orange at the bottom and slowly changing through the day. I haven't seen it at night yet, and I am curious what it will look like after dark.

Neither is a deal maker, but both are nice eye candy.

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/18/18 09:21 PM. Reason: Eye candy

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney