A couple more tools that I find indispensable on the Mac: Default Folder and Clip Menu.

It's amazing how time is wasted in Windows resizing columns, windows, and preferences in Windows's equivalent of the Finder. There should be some kind of default that doesn't get reset every time I close a window. It is called Windows, after all. Shouldn't Windows's windows be easier to manage? Even more incredible, in some programs there are windows you can't resize. That's right. In Windows you can't always resize windows. That's absurd.

Much time is wasted, too, on drilling through folders to get back to where I was. Column view on the Mac is one solution, leaving a window open, but even snappier is Default Folder.

There are many clipboard programs for Windows, but I've found none better than Clip Menu on the Mac, which does exactly what I want with no fuss or complaints.

Mac users always hear about the amount of Windows software that exists, and it's too that there is a lot, but so much of it sucks. There's a lot open source software, too—and much of it sucks. I would gladly pay for quality software, but the past few years in Windows have taught me there's not nearly as much as I thought. Mac software is usually so much better, easier to use, more attractive. I really am flabbergasted that after all these years there hasn't been more progress in the usability, appearance, and reliability of Windows software. It's astonishing what people will tolerate.

Other Mac tools of mine: atext, Audio Hijack Pro, Beyond Compare (which does have a Windows version), the built in Oxford American dictionary and thesaurus, Disc Cover (which comes with a reduced version of Art Text), EasyFind, FinderPop, Font Book (which is fine for my uses), Graphic Converter, iCal , Mail (good when it works), Monolingual, Numbers, Onyx, Pacifist, Pages, Preview (yes, Preview, with its nice annotation feature), Reunion, Singer Song Reader, SuperDuper, Tex-Edit Plus, TextWrangler, TinkerTool, and XLD.

What great tools these are. If only I could keep using them.

Last edited by deniro; 07/05/18 04:34 PM.