I have a problem that has stumped me, stumped an Apple Genius, and so now I put it out to you guys.

I have a workhorse Macbook Pro mid-2012 that's been a reliable companion for a long time. When I got my new MBP, the mid-2012 was relegated to running a Web and streaming video server.

It is currently running Sierra Server. And lately, it has started hibernating after anywhere from 2-12 hours of inactivity. Needless to say, as it's a server, I do not want it to hibernate.

Things I have done:

- Set Sleep to Never in System Preferences
- Installed an anti-sleep app (InsomniaX) designed to stop it from sleeping
- Used the Terminal to disable hibernation completely with sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 (and verified it with pmset -g which shows hibernate 0)
- Deleted the sleepimage file
- Used the Terminal to set autopoweroff to 0 (and verified with pmset -g that standby and autopoweroff were set to 0)
- Wiped the hard drive and re-installed Sierra Server
- Replaced the battery (even though it lives on AC power, a Google search suggests a defective battery can cause weird sleep/hibernate issues)
- Reset the SMC and NVRAM

The Apple Genius suggested the problem might be a physically defective system management controller, though he wasn't sure if that would cause my symptoms or not. Needless to say I don't want to shell out the $$ to have the SMC board replaced if it won't fix the problem, especially as I've already shelled out $$ on a new battery for this 6-year-old computer and I don't want to keep throwing money at it.

Any ideas?

Last edited by tacit; 07/02/18 03:37 AM.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html