The short version...

Spoke with two OWC techs. After fumbling around a bit, the first tech called in the A team. The new tech opined that DriveDx often gives false reports with OWC SSDs. And that while 32 Retired Blocks is not a good sign, it’s difficult to tell just how bad, if at all, the condition may portend, and if the number of retired blocks begins to climb, then I should definitely call back as that would surely indicate a problem with the drive.

The senior tech had me use DiskUtility to check to the SSD as that often gives better/more accurate data than does DriveDx (well, according to him). But how true that is, I dunno.

At any rate, tech #2 seemed sincere, gave me a case number, and again encouraged me to call back should my situation worsen.

I now have an additional/different external drive installed, so for the interim, I am agreeable with waiting & watching. Still, I would be happier were OWC to replace the drive.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire