Originally Posted By: grelber
Just post all your credit card and banking information, as well as driver's license number and SSS/SIN number and I'll make sure you don't get any more robocalls. It may take a while because of the huge response to my offer, but don't despair — I am on top of it.

Thanks but last Friday someone beat you to my credit card information and in the course of half a day spent almost $1,200 on two Verizon cellphones, a Cricket wireless cellphone, Chipotle takeout, and most expensive of all — a set of Bose headphones before the bank was able to notified me and cancel the card. Apparently there were using a card and none of mine were missing. There was another $1,000 or so worth of validated charges (the merchants had validated the card but had not closed it out) to Fairfield Inn and Microsoft. Saturday morning there were half a dozen additional attempts made, but the card was rejected as "account closed". It wasn't a third party fraud protection agency that caught these fraudulent cards, it was the bank. Lets give it up it for banks with a GOOD fraud detection system! 👏

Interestingly, my son's credit card account got hit almost simultaneously, mostly for clothing items, but his bank caught that too. Since then I have run into three others, including a checker at the grocery store, who were hit the same day roughly at the same time. The five cards were issued by entirely different financial institutions and it would appear unlikely any of us did business at the same places (my son doesn't even use Amazon). The coincidence of so many disparate people in one neighborhood getting hit at the same time seems too strong to truly be coincidental. But, the only common elements are we all five live in Fort Worth, and all five cards were VISA cards. I also know my son and I had data exposed in the Equifax data breach and of course we have the same last name.

The good news is none of those I talked to suffered any actual financial loss thanks to good fraud protection at our various financial institutions. The bad news is all of us have ended up spending hours notifying creditors and others deleting or correcting credit card information they have on file for us. 👎

In the future I will always use PayPal or Apple Pay when it is available. No security system is perfect, but at least they provide another layer of shielding for my credit/debit card data. In case anyone suggests, there have been flurries of post office letter drop robberies in the area, so even the USPS is not particularly safe.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein