As always, you insights are valued and valuable.

My current stereo is 18 years old ( shocked ), I haven't turned it off in 5 years or so to avoid having to deal with a blown capacitor, It's been years since I've listened to a station other than WQXR-FM classical, I haven't used any of its other functionality in years (but I want to maintain turntable functionality), and I doubt that I'll be looking for a new one before this one dies, but against that day I did some cursory research and found that AirPlay and wi-fi capability are really scarce; Bluetooth is what's mostly available, but from the little I've read, it's subject to proximity limitations, would require a $30 app to make it work with my MBP, and while not subject to dropouts, provides lesser "reception" than wi-fi.

Bottom line... $50 refurbed (v $100 new) AirPort Express units came up in the Apple Store, and I bought one. (I'll just have to maintain Airport Utility functionality in one way or another if when Apple discontinues it.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire