Originally Posted By: MG2009
RE: "I'm still running Yosemite (10.10) so El Capitan (10.11) would be a newer version."

-----------------------

True. But I think - someone correct me if I am wrong - when one "upgrades" from ANY earlier version, the only option through Apple is its latest OS (which, currently, is High Sierra).

Yes, I agree; I have no doubt that's exactly what's happening. Apple doesn't want people using older OS's if they can bully them into using their latest nightmare. The real problem for me is that I know for a fact that several commercial software packages that I use, won't work on High Sierra, and so, if I upgrade to High Sierra I'll have to spend $$$$ for upgrades to those apps.

I've now downloaded the combo updater and security update using the link in Grelber's post #48698. Thanks for that! I'm surprised that Apple didn't delete it.

I'm still debating whether or not to install this on my main boot drive. I'll probably try installing it on another HD just to be safe. If it works out okay, then I'll put it on my main HD.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6