Originally Posted By: MG2009
I believe trying to download from the Apple Store will detect what OS you currently are using on your computer and, by design, will not give you the option to download an earlier version from them.

I'm still running Yosemite (10.10) so El Capitan (10.11) would be a newer version.

Originally Posted By: grelber
Back in January I was going through the same throes vis-à-vis El Capitan — see "Downloading Mac OS" thread. Urquhart was most helpful in his post #47409 (2018-01-05) which follows (somewhat edited):

Originally Posted By: Urquhart
... a fresh copy will be the latest iteration: 10.11.6, but without the later security updates.
If ... an older installer earlier than 10.11.6, you’ll need the 10.11.6 Combo Update (1.5 GB) that'll work on any version 10.11.x. You can download it manually with any browser or use the App Store app.
I believe the security updates include all previous security updates (cumulative), so you’ll only need one: Security Update 2017-005 El Capitan (630.4MB). You can ... download it manually with any browser or use the App Store app.

Subsequent to that there were several threads with dealt with a number of El Capitan issues.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6