I agree that the topics discussed by the various scientific schools are interesting enough to pursue, but that's not likely to happen in the contentious tone this thread has developed. I doubt that merely adapting post titles will fix this. That's hardly surprising after this discussion was distracted from its core issues by (to mention just a few ways) ignoring or belittling relevant remarks, by confusing individual practitioners with their art, and by pointing to essentially meaningless side issues. shocked

Now it seems it's the different schools existing within science. Such schools don't matter at all in that greater scheme of things, as they are only exponents of the theses they propose, which await verification or falsification and nothing more. Choosing sides here is quite irrelevant to the eventual outcome (which is what it is), unless perhaps (and rather unscientifically) one happens to have invested in one theory over another and would feel a loss when one's favorite doesn't come out the 'winner'.

The bottom line is that 'science' doesn't have an agenda beyond doing what it purports to do: explaining the physical world. It can be argued that religion does, to the extent that it (imprudently) chose to appropriate the exegesis of reality to further its influence. Sure, the current state of affairs in science would allow one to question many religious positions regarding the physical world, but that is not the purpose of the endeavor. Still, the inevitability of this process increasingly causes dogmatic religion grief in maintaining its stance on the topic, a situation it cannot help but perceive as threatening.

I consider it largely a waste of breath to throw specific scientific findings against religion, because both use different frames of mind and reference. This is manifested by the claim of 'science denying the basis of religion' with its systematic deconstruction of religious dogma, which is countered by 'religion denying the basis of reality' with the selective wishful thinking it likes to equate to the rigorous scientific approach. This is the home turf of that slippery eel I referred to above and I suspect the main reason for the silence of the lambs. So be it. Unless, of course, you want to pick up those topics in a more agreeable dimension. tongue

alternaut moderator