Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks So much Joe. So you say buy/ don't buy Office 2016?

I really did not want to spend the $80 year just to use Excel/ Word... but.....(subscription)

Hoping to buy 2016.. and use that for 5-10 years....

Do you have an opinion? You don't use Word/ Excel?

What I am saying is the decision must be yours. You have to balance the cost/benefit/risk equation for yourself. I do think your ten year window may be unrealistic given the rate of technological advance but it will likely be good for another five years whether or not Microsoft continues to support it.

I don't use Microsoft Office instead I find Numbers easily fills all my rather pedestrian spreadsheet needs and has the advantage of being free and available on MacOS, iOS, and iCloud and can read and export Excel files. For word processing I occasionally use Pages because it is also free and available on MacOS, iOS, and iCloud but I often find it pretty limiting. For serious writing I use Mellel 4.1 which, in spite of its strong academic orientation, I find to be cleaner, easier to use, and in many ways more powerful than Word. To top it off Mellel 4.1 can read and export Word files. I used to use NeoOffice for all Office tasks but I find it as clunky as Word so now the only thing I use it for is database (which requires Java and is therefore not available in the App Store version. smirk ) For major writing projects for print, the web, eBooks, or a combination of all of the above my choice is Scriviner.

By-the-way in light of your Dreamweaver example, I wish I thought I could afford a new copy of it, but I don't do enough website work to make it a wise investment and I don't want to get stuck paying Adobe for it forever.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein