Originally Posted By: kevs
Do upgrades matter? I have copy of Dreamweaver 10 years old, they don't upgrade anything at all and I'm fine with it.

Are you taking about upGRADES or upDATES? I guarantee there were a number of upDATES to Dreamweaver, but it long ago dropped off of the support queue. To get upDATES for your Dreamweaver you would have to have purchased an later upGRADE version and there have been several since your version shipped..

upDATES generally offer…
  • ...bug fixes
  • ...security patches
  • ...are free

upGRADES generally offer...
  • …new features, some you may never use and some you may find invaluable
  • …compatibility with evolving standards (for example there is a lot of new stuff in HTML, CSS, Javascript, graphics, etc. that are not supported in your ten year old Dreamweaver and still other features that have been deprecated or removed from the. standards.)
  • …compatibility with newer versions of MacOS (for example your 10 year old Dreamweaver is likely 32 bit and will not be able to run in MacOS 10.13 or 10.14).
  • …built in protection from the latest generation Malware exploits.
  • …are NOT free but there are discounts if you are upGRADING from a recent version of the product.
Going back to your Dreamweaver example, If your website development needs are modest, and having a modern looking website with the latest features is not a concern, you can stick with your 10 year old Dreamweaver until it is broken by a MacOS upGRADE and it would be okay. With MS Office products their vulnerability to malware exploits would give one pause if for example there sere no security upDATES.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein