The MFIF thread started as a video of Cellular Biology, which then became a long discussion (largely between Tacit and me) about Mother Nature and, eventually with some other input, morphed into the same argument as this thread.

At that point in the MFIF thread I dropped out because I find these arguments circular and not very useful. So, I will not be taking your bait, particularly since you continue to miss the point entirely. My original FTM post was, in part:

" In the previous lounge…… someone mentioned two basic scientific principles that scientists are still unable to explain and which are accepted as "that's just the way it is".

The science side berates people who accept things on faith but disregards the fact that it does the same thing with some of its own principles.

It also asks others to accept its scientific conclusions “on faith”. Yes, it can be argued that their conclusions “can be proved” but that’s meaningless unless everyone had the same level of education and can understand the explanation. Clearly that is not so and therefore it becomes "just take our word for it" or, dare I say it, take it on faith.

That is what most people do. They accept the scientific opinions on faith.

The science side argues that acceptance of religious ideas on faith has been the cause of great woes. I don't think anyone has disagreed. However, taking science's "word for it" has also caused extraordinary pain and suffering. Frontal lobotomies and thalidomide come immediately to mind.

The science group likes to use words like shamans and fakirs. I don't think anyone disagrees that there are untruthful religious leaders. However, the science group can be tarred with the same brush. Let us not forget all those scientists whose "scientific opinions" are paid for by large industries. The tobacco industry and the energy industry have both been able to to trot out their industry-friendly scientists to assure us that smoking does not cause cancer or that global warming is a myth.

In my opinion, that makes science no different than the religions you are so quick to condemn.

ryck

Last edited by ryck; 10/09/09 08:15 PM. Reason: Missing verb "think"

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C