Originally Posted By: grelber
Originally Posted By: ryck
... At the Microsoft site I did see one disconcerting statement:
“Office 2016 suites, including Office Home & Student and Home & Business, include applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote; they are available as a one-time purchase for use on a single PC or Mac. The applications are not automatically updated; to get the latest version, you must purchase Office again when the new version becomes available.”

Am I safe to assume “latest version” does not mean the regular updates for improvements or security?

Lacking the clarity which Microsoft usually provides, I would read it literally, namely that Microsoft is going to try to squeeze blood from as many stones as possible (ie, all updates would require repurchase of the suite) — after all, Bill Gates needs a raise. tongue

Given earlier discussion in this thread, I figure that we have a good 5-6 years of being able to use Office for the Mac 2011 before our desire to upgrade our macOSes to 64-bit-only versions. At that point there may be alternatives to Office for the 2016 or its successor which are more viable.

I'll guess that ryck's quote means that subscribers will be upgraded to newer versions of Office as part of their subscriptions whereas purchasers will have to, well, purchase them...same as now...nothing new.

I can't see Microsoft charging for incremental updates which are traditionally free.

As for how long you can run Office 11? How long did you run OS 9?

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire