Originally Posted By: MacManiac
"For one Mac" is the legal phraseology in the license agreement....it simply means that Microsoft doesn't want to allow you to use their software on multiple computers. It implies that you will need to buy a new license if you change computers, but that was not my experience when I migrated to my new computer. The new me still had a functional Office suite while the old me retained functionality as well.....legally, I did the right thing by removing Office 2016 from my prior MBP before passing it to its' new owner.

When I worked for Microsoft Tech Support the official interpretation of "for one Mac" was you could only use it on one Mac at a time. Other phraseology in the license agreement permitted installation on a work computer and a home computer but legally you could not have the Microsoft app open on both computers AT THE SAME TIME. Enforcing that turned out to be highly problematic and I believe was a significant driving factor in Microsoft's decision to go to a software leasing model as opposed to sales. (A bigger driving factor in that decision was market saturation in a declining market and the necessity to generate stable cash flow to keep Microsoft in business.)

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein