Originally Posted By: artie505
All considered, it doesn't seem the least bit likely that PrintLife d/l'ed from the App Store will work for Douglas, as it's the same version as the one on Chronos's website.

It will be interesting to see whether it works or not. Version numbers are NOT a good indicator of differences between App Store and non-App Store versions of the same app. Apple's insistence on App Store versions being fully sand boxed often means the non-App Store version may have features that cannot be implemented if the app is sand boxed. I have encountered situations where...
  • the App Store version was not be able to fully implement some features due to App Store sand boxing requirements. (the database function in NeoOffice is a good example of that).
  • there was a problem in the App Store version and the developer had me download the non App Store version until a sand boxed work around could be found and implemented
  • there was a problem in the App Store version and the developer allowed me download the non App Store version until the sand boxed version could make its way through the App Store approve process (which was delayed because the developer elected to make the "fix" in a completely reworked upgrade.
  • A feature in the app uses a function provided by importing code that is not App Store approved and Apple would not allow the non approved code embedded in it. The work around involves releasing the app in the App Store and giving the user a link to download the non-approved app so the approved app can import its functions — all with appropriate warnings of course.
In all of these cases the version number is the same inside and outside of the App Store. In at least one case there is a parenthetic "App Store" appended to the version number but that did not show up until the app was installed. If you run into missing features or reduced functionality in App Store versions, many developers will allow you to switch to the non App Store version at no charge since you already paid in the App Store. All it takes is an email or phone call to their tech support. cool

"All you've got to do is own up to your ignorance
honestly, and you'll find people who are eager to
fill your head with information"
--Walt Disney