Thank you very much for the comprehensive reply. I do have a couple more questions.
Originally Posted By: grelber
The symptoms (redness and licking) — your vet's having ruled out anal sac impaction or infection — could be merely due to the excessive licking (ie, merely a mechanical sequela which would resolve if the licking ceased).

Back to the primary issue: Without a definitive diagnosis and especially given the minor aggravation (except to you wink ), I would have first tried a relatively innocuous topical, in particular Variton Cream (diphemanil methylsulfate), which is a very good antipruritic, in addition to which it tastes terrible to most animals. (As an aside, I have found it to be invaluable in treating psychogenic licking in both dogs and cats because of the latter effect.)

I like the idea of a topical much better than popping in pills.

Apoquel (oclacitinib) is a newer non-steroid immunomodulatory drug to treat allergy and atopic dermatitis and the pruritus (itching) that often accompanies same. (I have no experience with this product; the best I can do is suggest that you check out Zoetis's product information for potential adverse side effects.)
Vanectyl-P (likewise from Zoetis) is used in much the same fashion, but it contains trimeprazine (a phenothiazine with antihistaminic activity) and prednisolone (a steroid with antipruritic properties).
To my mind neither of these is a first-line drug (especially absent a definitive diagnosis).

I note that there hasn’t been any change in her behaviour even though the Apoquel touts results within the first four hours.

Another possibility (which needs to be ruled out) would be intestinal worms. Since that wasn't part of the discussion, I'm going to assume that she's on appropriate anthelmintics for your area — especially given the possibility of her picking up parasites and parasite eggs in the wild.

She is not on any worm medicines. I always thought they were used if there was evidence in the stool, and her’s has never shown anything. It sounds like I should be changing my approach. How much exposure does she need to a carrier to acquire something?

I would have liked to know if there was a definitive diagnosis (or even a putative diagnosis) for the problem which would have warranted the use of either or both medications.

There were only the visual and digital examinations….no tests, et cetera.

And I'm also assuming that Abby is spayed (otherwise you wouldn't be allowing her to run loose in the woods with other dogs).

That is correct. Spayed after her second heat.

Last edited by ryck; 03/04/18 04:59 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C