Originally Posted By: sandbox
As humans experience the productive methods required by scientific study, and grow to understand that reasoned outcomes, common purpose, with less competition, they will move further away from the mystic and closer to rational thought.

You won't even try to engage in a friendly, imaginative (non-mathematical) discussion of quantum mechanical interpretations... yet you claim to be pro-science? [hey... i'm very pro-science, and i'm not pleased with the pretense of some who claim that **they** alone represent the pro-science viewpoint around here.]

What you (and almost everyone else) seem unable to appreciate [recognize/discern] is that the whole 'interpretations of quantum mechanics' subject is exactly what science is struggling with at the moment... because the paradoxes our (current) knowledge seems to present entail some truly bizarre implications. THAT's what this thread ("Unexplained Scientific Principles") should be about, because those [differing] schools/interpretations/theories is where the real "reality" beef exists.

How does religion-bashing even begin to answer those (quantum) types of questions? Why bother with inane, small-minded crap like "what color is ['my'] god?" ?  You're supposedly pro-science... then let's talk about how perplexing its various viewpoints are at this point in time, and why that might be the case.

Instead, i detect a deep desire to avoid such scientific topics. Apparently a commandment has been issued...
  • Thou shalt only believeth in what hath been proved.
...so therefore, there's not much else to discuss (other than asserting that any notion of a possible creator leads to burning women. Brilliant [not]).

I don't know what Thomas Edison's spiritual inclinations were... but certainly he had a faith to persevere through failure after failure. At times i'm sure it seemed that all he was "proving" was that light-bulbs were impossible to make. But he continued to try anyway. [i suspect he enjoyed some extra time by not spending any of it bashing the religious beliefs of his fellow man.]

Originally Posted By: sandbox
There is much that I don't understand but I don't see anything on that page that goes beyond hypothesis. I doesn't say believe this or go to hell. Those folks are not interested in whether I tuned to the east when I think about them or ask me to bang my head on the floor. They're not recounting the words of Yahweh, God, Jesus, Mohammed or the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Whisky Tango Foxtrot said that page was about anything like that? [is that what you expected... or wanted?]

It seems you're exclusively looking to argue about religious stuff in order to *hide* from speculation (or even wonderment) about scientific mysteries.

Nice approach. Good luck with that. [if Edison had had that type of "scientific" attitude, we'd be reading our posts in the dark. smirk ]

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 10/08/09 10:44 PM.