Every once in a while I run into a permissions issue that stumps me. Today’s problem fits that mold. The last few days I collected a bunch of images with Google image search. They are stored in a standard folder, which also contains a few subfolders with images that don’t fit the main folder’s topic, but are interesting enough to keep. The problem arose when the images in the subfolders turned out not to be viewable with Preview. The error message is: The file “xxx.jpg” couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it.

Checking the properties of a few of the recalcitrant files with Get Info doesn’t show anything prohibiting my viewing them: I own them with the proper read/write permission. I *should* be able to open them in Preview, but I can’t. Going through the motions of ‘changing’ permissions (individually or as enclosed items of the containing folder) to be viewable anyway doesn’t change my inability to view them with Preview. BUT the files open just fine in GraphicConverter. confused So it appears as if something about the affected files is being read as a permissions issue by Preview, but not by GraphicConverter.

Anyone know what’s up? Better still: how to fix it?

alternaut moderator