Originally Posted By: sandbox
One cannot prove there is a god

One cannot prove there isn't one either. And so what? confused

but we can observe the result of belief and judge the theory accordingly using critical thinking,

The result? Oh you mean pick and choose the worst examples, and pretend that's the norm? Sorta like those "physicians" who laughed at Lister and Pasteur, when told they were infecting [i.e., killing] their patients with invisible germs? Yeah, eventually doctors learned to wash their hands [and sterilize their instruments]... but it didn't happen overnight. [Same deal with that blood-letting example a few pages back... as you stated: it was never a "proven" cure... right. but still, it sure was *practiced* (under the guise of 'science') for a long time though, wasn't it?]

Shall we just pick out the worst examples of each other's viewpoints, and play 'gotcha' till the other guy cries uncle? Is that what your "worm" hungers for? [so far, that 'social-engineering' field you promoted a ways back has all the trappings of a cult.]

An assertion, without evidence, is not accepted as true in modern life.

Therefore -- scientifically -- you aren't making any such assertions either (as to the definite non-existence of a creator). So where do we go from there then? [i doubt the phrase "Thou shalt not kill" appears in any physics book -- shall i now proclaim that therefore science books condone murder?]

Being a part of the universe rather than the masters of the universe in the image of god will go a long way in releasing us from the bondage to spiritualism and unite us in a common cause.

Oh I see. So, you're saying that your sister is trying to master the universe[?]. tongue

Here's a fun read (except the math part): "Many-worlds interpretation".  [can't say whether i agree or disagree... but it's a lot lighter reading than the quantum/religious entanglement going on here.]

Quote:
Hugh Everett described a way out of this problem by suggesting that the universe is in fact indeterminate as a whole. That is, if you were to measure the spin of a particle and find it to be "up", in fact there are two "yous" after the measurement, one who measured the spin up, the other spin down. Effectively by looking at the system in question, you take on its indeterminacy.

Last edited by Hal Itosis; 10/08/09 04:29 AM.