Originally Posted By: jaybass
As I said, I still have the pop-ups. The default open with, is 'open any file' 1.4.1

Sorry, it wasn't clear to me that you were talking about the same pop-ups.

That "1.4.1" suggested to me that some sort of app might be involved, and, indeed, Mr. Google referred me to Open Any Files: RAR Support [v 1.4.1], which is in the iTunes (i.e. iOS) Mac App Store but is also available as a macOS app via a "View In Mac App Store" link.

The first Customer Review in both stores is...

Quote:
Nov 19, 2017
DBStevens
For what it’s intended, this app is fast and very useful. However, it’s caused problems by taking over ownership of files that should be opened by other applications. For example, double-clicking on an Adobe Illustrator file opens “Open Any Files” instead of Illustrator. After correcting that, a couple of weeks later it happens again.

The most frustrating instance was when “Open Any Files” took over Microsoft Outlook messages. That prevented Outlook’s and Spotlight’s search indexing, effectively disabling searching in Outlook. It took me me more than a week to figure out that this is what was wrong. I corrected that, but after updating to High Sierra, “Open Any Files” once again claimed ownership of this file type.

I know “ownership” isn’t the right word, but can’t think of the right word at the moment. What I’m talking about is if you “Get Info” on a file, “Open Any Files” shows up as the default “Open With” application.

This frustration has happened frequently enough that I uninstalled “Open Any Files”

BINGO!

Time for a search and destroy mission.

I still don't know what Trend Micro has to do with anything, but maybe expunging Open Any Files will make the pop-ups go away.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire