Originally Posted By: grelber
Originally Posted By: artie505
Before reinstalling Word, you ought to launch /Apps/Font Book and check Lucida Grande to make sure it isn't problematic in some way.

I looked at it as suggested but I'm not sure how I might determine if something is problematic.

If there's a problem with a font, Font Book tells you, so nothing = nothing.

I've expunged Opera and Chrome from my Applications folder. Using AppCleaner gets rid of all the ancillary bits which remain behind if only the app is deleted.
Thus far I've seen no more of the error messages referred to above. Nor has the Lucida Grande issue shown up. So I'm guessing that those problems were all somehow connected. We shall see.

Fingers crossed.

On the other hand the following 2 error messages have been showing up (repeatedly) and I don't know what to make of them —

2018-02-05 6:00:16.035 plugin-container[35078]: CFPasteboardRef CFPasteboardCreate(CFAllocatorRef, CFStringRef) : failed to create global data

2018-02-05 6:00:16.035 plugin-container[35078]: FolderManager: Failed looking up user domain root; url='file:///Users/grelber/' path=- err=-1 uid=501 euid=501

The best I can do with that is suggest that you quit looking in Console other than with reason. wink

Also, if I delete the updatejournal.plist entry (under Library > Application Support > App Store), would that get rid of the 2 on the App Store icon (and not do any other damage)?

In Sierra, /Users/artie/Library/Application Support/App Store/updatejournal.plist seems to be the App Store's source for "Updates Installed in the Last 30 Days", and if that holds for El Cap, deleting the file won't get rid of your "2".

I think it's been posted that there's a way to tell the App Store to disregard unwanted updates, but I can't verify it.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire