Originally Posted By: artie505
Before reinstalling Word, you ought to launch /Apps/Font Book and check Lucida Grande to make sure it isn't problematic in some way.

I looked at it as suggested but I'm not sure how I might determine if something is problematic. It shows up in the listing. I created a Word document with it with no problem.

Some of the error log messages suggest that Word is looking for and update. A foray to do same returns "no updates available" — which I would have anticipated since Word 14.7.7 is the last current update.

Reinstalling Word (or all of Office for the Mac 2011) is not an option.

Originally Posted By: artie505
(Can you authoritatively state that no app you use uses Lucida Grande in its GUI?)

No.

I've also been getting a whack of GoogleSoftware Update Daemon and RTProtection Daemon error messages relating to updating which never go to completion. Truly weird.

I've expunged Opera and Chrome from my Applications folder. Using AppCleaner gets rid of all the ancillary bits which remain behind if only the app is deleted.
Thus far I've seen no more of the error messages referred to above. Nor has the Lucida Grande issue shown up. So I'm guessing that those problems were all somehow connected. We shall see.

On the other hand the following 2 error messages have been showing up (repeatedly) and I don't know what to make of them —

2018-02-05 6:00:16.035 plugin-container[35078]: CFPasteboardRef CFPasteboardCreate(CFAllocatorRef, CFStringRef) : failed to create global data

2018-02-05 6:00:16.035 plugin-container[35078]: FolderManager: Failed looking up user domain root; url='file:///Users/grelber/' path=- err=-1 uid=501 euid=501

Also, if I delete the updatejournal.plist entry (under Library > Application Support > App Store), would that get rid of the 2 on the App Store icon (and not do any other damage)?

Last edited by grelber; 02/05/18 11:15 AM. Reason: Additional concerns