Originally Posted By: grelber
(God only knows what the Apple Dictionary is. Every attempt to elicit a definition results in "No entries found".)

And I still want The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.

Sorry I overlooked your comment about the Apple Dictionary. Try terms specific to the Apple Environment such as:
  • Dock A feature of macOS, the Dock is located along the edge of the screen. It contains icons that you can click to open many of the apps available on the computer, and you can drag icons to and from the Dock.
  • Apple File System A file system from Apple for iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS. It’s used to store data on Apple devices. See also APFS.
  • APFS A file system from Apple for iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS. It’s used to store data on Apple devices. See also APFS. (On second thought that one may not appear in El Capitan)
…but in truth the content is relatively scanty and pretty rudimentary from what I have seen.

The American Heritage Dictionary is available in the App Store, but ONLY for iOS Devices. In fact of the 120 some odd dictionaries cataloged in the MacOS App Store there is a dearth of familiar names. All the old American English standbys such as American Heritage, and Websters are missing. However, they are available as iOS Apps for the iPhone and iPad — for a price.

In case you may be wondering why they ar eon iOS and not MacOS, I suggest you, "follow the money." There are literally millions more iPhones and iPads and therefore customers than there are Macs. Personally I am looking forward to a time when we will be able to run iOS apps on our Macs.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein