Here's an update on the Snow Leopard crashes while using Excel 2004. I continued to follow the suggestions in this forum and things went well for a few days. Then, I started getting frequent crashes while working with relatively small files as well as the large ones.

At that point, I purchased MS Office 2008 Business Edition from Amazon. I got that edition to obtain the access to Exchange that I need for email to the home office. Since installing Office 2008 two days ago, I have had no crashes at all. If I do have them, I'll report them here, but consider no news to be good news. Again, thanks for all the help on this struggle. It appears that I finally have my "fine tuned Mac" back after a couple of months of exhausting hassle. By upgrading my RAM to 4Gb and purchasing Office 2008, I seem to have eliminated my sources of trouble. Otherwise, Snow Leopard has been a real delight. I love its speed. Things just seem to work. I think Apple accomplished its goals of a slimmer, quicker, less problematic OS X. Except for the defective graphics card that Apple replaced, my problems were inadvertently self inflicted by not enough RAM and an old application. smile

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5