Holy crackola!

The new Firefox 57 (in my case 57.0.4) is totally different from earlier versions: way leaner and meaner; claims to be twice as fast (leaving Chrome in the dust); uses less memory; etc.
Here's the blurb from their Release Notes:

Version 57.0.4, first offered to Release channel users on January 4, 2018
Brace yourself for an all-new Firefox. It’s fast. Really fast. It’s over twice as fast as Firefox from 6 months ago, built on a completely overhauled core engine with brand new technology from our advanced research group, and graced with a clean, modern interface. Today is the first of several releases we’re calling Firefox Quantum, all designed to get to the things you love and the stuff you need faster than ever before. ...
Fixed: Security fixes to address the Meltdown and Spectre timing attacks.

On the other hand it wiped out most of my extensions and plug-ins, noting that they were incompatible with the new Firefox. Too bad, to some degree, but it should save a lot of time vis-à-vis updating same.

So far I "can live with it". We shall see. (I may still revert to the ESR version.)

Back to Bookmarks: Recently Bookmarked doesn't even show up. So that resolves that problem.

Addendum

I just checked a number of websites for speed of access via Firefox Quantum.
For example, The New York Times loaded in about 1/10 the time as previously, in fact almost as quickly as FTM; Gmail ditto. And the tracking protection is truly superb.
I'm impressed. This version seems to be a game changer.

Last edited by grelber; 01/12/18 08:47 PM. Reason: Addendum