I wasn't avoiding your first point Gregg; I thought I had addressed it.

Originally Posted By: Gregg
Mark, I appreciate the tone of the above post. I respectfully submit that it concentrates on the actions of people, and reflects poorly on the religion those people followed (or followed to some degree). It does not prove that the religion is morally bankrupt, just that the individuals are. During the same periods of time, there were other adherents of the same religions who acted nobly. I am quite sure that there are documented cases of the evil actions of people who claim (or claimed) no religious faith. That does not mean that all people with no religious faith are evil.

Your argument is that although there are statements in the bible(s) that are not acceptable in today's society that as a book of guidance it still has value. And that, although some people do nasty thing in the name of religion or belief, that there are some that do not. If my explanation is not correct please set me straight.

I'm absolutely certain that there are well meaning, dedicated and honest people who believe in a prime mover(god). My sister is a nun example=(a sister of the sacred heart) and through her I have met many well meaning people. So I do understand that what one person does in an organization or religion is not a reflection on the whole. I do know that my sister would have been a good person in the eyes of our culture if she was born into a Muslim family or agnostic family or a Nazi family, she gets her kicks from giving to others. She enjoys sacrifice.

She's very intelligent, double master degrees, and teaches in places like Hell's Kitchen in special educational programs that no one else dare address. I know the depth of her convictions, so if your wandering if I can understand the dichotomy between her life and her representation of a conventional religion, I do.
Simply put, she has a worm and needs to feed it. Living in sacrifice turns her on. And she readily admits it.

I've had long conversations with her, her friends, and her monsignors a bishop or two and they understand the contradictions very well, but there is no other place to live as they do, if it wasn't for the convent, rectory, monastery or church there would be no place to satisfy their hunger.

Before I go on….let me make sure that I've addressed the point that you made in your first sentence. With all due respect.

Last edited by sandbox; 10/07/09 05:10 PM.